Thursday, August 5, 2010

surprise getaway

Summer around here is beautiful.
Summer around here is also CRAZY.
Work gets busier...weekends get booked...kids need to play outside.
I decided I was going to take a weekend for just the two of us.
JUST THE TWO OF US. That sounds foreign.
Even if we leave the kids behind for a night, we're typically joined by our besties.
Not this time. This time it was just the two of us.
I had been planning this trip for a while. All without Brad having any knowledge of it.
I can't even tell you what a feat that was.
Everyone knew about the surprise. My parents graciously took our kids for the weekend - so the plan was to just tell Brad we were going to the farm. Then he started asking questions - why are we planning to go out so early?
Ummmm...my Dad was having a surprise party for my Mom??
Yeah, not a very good excuse, but I guess it worked.
Like I said - everyone was in on it. Jess and her family were even up north for the week, but she called and left the most ridiculous message asking what time we were going to meet them, what our plan was for once we got out there, blah blah. Man I love that girl...she knows how to play along.
When we got to the farm, I told Jacks while we were still in the car that we were leaving Fin and him there, and Mommy and Daddy had somewhere else to go this weekend.
{To which Brad PROMPTLY turned his head around and said huh??}
Perfect. Exactly the reaction I knew he would have.
We travelled to Brainerd.
No - it wasn't a far away land, it wasn't anything unmanageable or anything, but it was NEEDED, and UNEXPECTED, and that was the point...
Just a getaway...just a weekend...just the two of us.
I'm pretty sure 3 minutes after we checked in we were already sitting by the water...

We went out for a late dinner and too many drinks to count. Without the worry of having to wake up at 5:00am to babies!


We read books in the sun on the beach ALL DAY on Saturday.

We talked uninterrupted for more hours I think than we have COMBINED since Finley was born.

We had a very laid back dinner on Saturday night.

We stopped for ice cream...
OK, Brad stopped for ice cream.
Me and my sweet tooth stopped for salt water taffy.
And I do believe my mouth is watering just thinking about it.


I had even bought two books for the car ride. They were so much fun.
Random questions that you may or may not know about your spouse.
We laughed and laughed at some of the responses.

JUST what this couple needed for a re-charge.

Although, when we pulled into the driveway of the farm...I couldn't have been more excited to see my little chickadees.

{the farm, taken on B's phone....and yes, those are my feet on the dash..the only way to truly enjoy a road trip}

4 comments:

Heidi Myhre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Myhre said...

Seriously... you get wife of the year award and I'm totally jealous. Looks like a lot of fun. Miss you!

Carissa said...

Sounds like you two had a wonderful time! I can't wait to hear more about it next week when we get together!!

Unknown said...

Honey, you are the best. I had so much fun just hanging out for the weekend. I can't believe you were able to plan this around me! I had no idea.

I love you!
B

 
Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs